Friends of the Walker Public Library is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization dedicated to supporting the library in making information, books, and programs available to the public.
The purpose of this organization shall be to maintain an association of persons interested in libraries; to focus public attention on the library; to stimulate the use of the library’s resources and services; to receive and encourage gifts, endowments and bequests; to support and cooperate with the library in developing library services and facilities for the community; to lend legislative support where needed; and to support the freedom to read as expressed in the American Library Association Bill of Rights.
The original Walker Public Library was built in 1911 and was the smallest of the Carnegie Libraries in the nation and the only wooden structure.
The library succumbed to a fire on April 8, 1976 and was subsequently rebuilt on the same site in 1979 under the leadership of Lois Orton, President of the Walker Public Library.
Unfortunately, that library had to be demolished in 2020 due to issues with the site and structural issues with the building itself. The City of Walker and surrounding townships are partnering to build a new library on Tower Avenue between the Community Gardens and the water towers.
Renderings of the new library and progress towards the building can be found at: